Friday 24 April 2015

Lots of have people have made comments on my blog, some in the comments section, some on Facebook and some in person.  Most people have suggested that it is a brave or courageous thing to do. This is strange to me, as it feels perfectly natural. 

This leads me to ponder why talking about mental illness is such a stigma.  The campaign 'Time to Change' has been set up by mental health charities, to encourage people to talk about mental health issues.  It is an excellent place to go for help.  They have a section where people can pledge to end the stigma.  I can't help noticing that there are far more women than men.

The article by Ally Fogg, printed in the guardian last year, (Britain's male suicide rate is a national tragedy), shows that male suicide numbers have increased since the 1980s whereas female  numbers have gone down. He puts the cause down to:-
'the insidious influence of macho conditioning that beseeches to "man up" and demands that "boys don't cry" on pain of mockery and humiliation.'.

'You've got it easy, some people are really suffering' , 'snapout of it' , "what have you got to be sad about?", all statements I am sure depressed people have heard at some time in their lives. If we bloody well could, we would.  I have hardly been out of the house for the last two days,  am nervous about seeing my doctor this evening and I feel really guilty about the students I am supposed to teach. Who really thinks I would not just get better, if I could?  So lets talk, talk to everyone and anyone about any mental health issues.  I am fortunate that I can, but others need encouragement.  Is there someone in your life that would benefit from talking? Give them that chance, but advice would be best coming from a professional like a GP or a counsellor.  If the situation is severe don't hesitate to contact the emergency services or Samaritans.

On to lighter things.  I am trying to get this blog 'out there' so I have been tweeting celebraties, with an interest in mental health issues to ask them to share my blog.  Amazingly, Beverly Callard did yesterday, she even replied to me with a couple of x's.  I am still blushing from this but please don't tell my wife.

No comments: